So, Jeremy and I are house/pet/Kimmee sitting for my parents while they're on a short vacation in Boston.
I've always known for a long time that they do an awful lot just to keep the family running. When you have a family member with disabilities it changes the family from "stereotypical" to extra-ordinary. :-)
I've grown up with my sister always being disabled. For me, it's never been any different. It's been our way of life. I've often been told stories of just the "bond" that developed even early on, when I was little. Attribute it to being a twin, or just having the best role models. I don't know.
I've seen my parents take care of my sister my entire life... and I guess until now, I've taken it for granted. I knew and I even expressed my appreciation from time to time. But, until you're actually put in that situation, you can't fully understand what it means to be in their shoes. Part of me sort of looks forward to Monday when they will be home and I can go back to my usual [selfish] way of life. Another part of me sort of feels sorry for them.. that this is their way of life. I've never once seen my parents complain, or wallow in thir circumstances. I mean, sure everyone would give a kidney to see Kimmee be normal... but I often wonder how things would be different. Would I even be the same person I am? Probably not. The last bit of me, looks to the future anxiously... Some day in the future Kimmee could be in Jeremy and I's care. Wow... will our life be different.
I know being in a family like ours, has prepared me for a lot of things that life can throw. Each day, since I've been older now... I stop to thank the Lord for my parents. I don't think I could have asked for a better set. I love my parents, and I'm so grateful for all they do for me.... Jeremy... my sister... my family. They are two of the most generous people anyone could know. They face the twists and turns of life with "It's all in God's hands" or "It's not a surprise to God. Hew knew all about this...." mentality.
I pray that my parents will find a bunch of fun, and relaxation during their time in Boston! And it is will full appreciation that I write this blog. If you haven't told your parents today how much you love and appreciate them, I encourage everyone to take a bit of time and do so today.
Thanks MOM & DAD! You two are such great role models for life! You've taught me so much about life, changes, and marriage. I couldn't ask for 2 better people! I love you lots!
Kellee

1 comment:
Kellee,
That was a wonderful tribute to your parents. Truly beautiful.
Post a Comment