Well it's a good thing that God knows everything.
I know some of you will not agree with me here or my own reaction... but feel free to not read further if you so choose.
This blog is written with a somewhat melancholy heart.
Last week, God blessed me/my class with 3 beautiful chickens. We were given fertile eggs. We talked about them, (some of my students prayed for them) and rejoiced in their hatching. I took them home over the weekend where we had even more fun... bonding time.
They have brought me a sincere joy just with their cuteness alone. It brings me to the conclusion that everyone loves baby animals. They're just so stinkin cute! They were growing by leaps and bounds each day. They would eat, sleep, merrily cheep and poop. Such is a life of a chicken.
However today will be my last chick-related post. I left the chickens in their coop and went to help with Pre-K dismissal (as I always do Monday- Wednesday). When I came back 25 minutes later there was one chick laying on its side breathing... but labored breathing. I had a mini-freak-out. I called my mom (praises for working with your mother! Highly recommended.) I called our vet, who referred me to another vet. Spoke with that vet. It was recommended that the chickens be taken back to the "farm" where the eggs come from. Perhaps being aroudn the other chickens will help this apparently sick chick. As I was talking to the vet, another chick started laying down. So, as tears welled up... I made the decision to take them to live with other older chickens hoping that the God's natural design for them would take over. We made the hour long drive. The chick's breathing became more and more labored, but he/she would stand up, move his/her wings whenever it was jostled or moved. The owners set up a nice little place for them. But the outlook does not look very good for the two sick chickens. :-( It was a hard reality. But... I guess it is the cirlce of life. I sat there just sorta thinking things over... how could a seemingly healthy chick turn so sick so soon?
It has just been a reminder to me to take every day one day at a time. To enjoy life to the fullest. And to sit back and be amazed at how God works.
I know I know... animal lovers will be sad... and non-animal lovers will say who cares it's just a chicken. All I know is that it is a life. Sure it may not have a soul, but it is still God's created being.
Tomorrow, I get the lovely opportunity to talk about the whole circle of life with my children. It won't be fun. Some were bummed out when the other eggs didn't hatch. So, those of you who refuse to pray for animals, that's fine. Pray for me. This news will not go over well.
Until next time.... (I may post pictures of all the chicks when I get a chance over the weekend, so everyone can see how cute they were... but that will be about it.)

1 comment:
Oh sad Kellee! I was excited about the little chickadees! That will be hard for you and the kiddies!! Praying for you and the kids!! :)
HUGS!
Pam
Post a Comment