Well, my dear sweet Anna is almost 2 weeks old. While some days have seemed to drag on (due to sheer exhaustion), for the most part it just seems like a crazy whirl wind dream that I fully expect to wake up from at any moment. Throughout this time though, I keep going back to one thing... Thank you Lord for a healthy, happy, precious baby girl. She has blessed us so much in these 2 weeks. I am also thankful and grateful to a very supportive hands-on husband who doesn't mind doing a 12am feeding so I can get an extra few hours of sleep, and who doesn't mind changing diapers or holding her and playing with her. Jeremy is truly an amazing man that I've fallen even deeper in love with, in just these past 2 weeks. Anyway, you didn't click on this link to read mush... so, here's the details of Anna's birth story.
On December 16th, I woke up earlier than normal around 7:15. I had a full day planned ahead of me. I did the norm... ate breakfast, got dressed, did my hair and make-up. While I was getting dressed (pretty close to 8am) I noticed a small trickle going down my leg. Now, embarrassing as it is, I was not certain what I was experiencing. So, I pondered it for a few minutes... and then went on with doing the dishes. I did send Jeremy a text that went something like "Not to scare you, but I think I may be leaking amniotic fluid." I don't really remember his response, but I imagine it something like "oh, ok." I told him my plan was to just watch things, and call my midwife at 8:30 when they would be in. So, I did the rest of the dishes... and then I packed a few things in our "hospital bag" since I didn't know if this was "it" or not. I called the midwife right at 8:30 and talked to a really nice nurse who asked me a whole slew of questions. She told me she would get in touch with my midwife Char (who incidentally I had an appointment with at 1:15 later that day). But that either way, but 9:39 she would call me back to check on me. Soo... I decided to just continue on with my day.
I was supposed to go out to my mom's school to see their last rehearsal of their Christmas program. So, I finished packing up the few toiletries that I would at some point need at the hospital... sent my mom a text saying I'd be a little late... and then got in my car.
On my way to the freeway, I got a call back from the midwife's office saying Char wanted to see me, how soon could I be there? So, I told the woman I was already in the car, and about 10 minutes away, so I could be there soon. She said "great, we'll see you in 10 minutes."
I got to the office about 9am, checked in and waited for a few minutes. I again texted my mom saying they wanted me to come in earlier (I did omit the whole possible water breaking detail... I wanted to be sure before I spread the word). I went back around 9:30, gave a urine sample to which my glucose level was normal, but the other levels were high. So the assistant was thinking it may be another UTI (for which I was slightly relieved... eh... UTI.. not bad. Give me some antibiotics, and we'll be on our way). I'd also like to point out that my blood pressure was a wonderful 126/78. Which, as most of you know, is phenomenal!! (Especially as the day progressed. Ha!) My midwife came in a bit of time later... and we talked for a few minutes, and then she made a slide... she told me if it was truly amniotic fluid then it would "crystalize on the slide." So, she got a sample.. and then she "just for kicks" decided to check to see if I was dilated at all. To which she proudly proclaimed... you're 3 centimeters! And then looked at the slide, and said "oh, yes, definitely amniotic fluid."
So, sort of with a frown (not because I wasn't excited, but because this was an EXTREMELY busy weekend for us.) I said "what now?" And she said "oh, you'll be having your baby within the next 24 hours." She asked if I had had any contractions. To which, I hadn't so I responded with a no. She then said that when I go to the hospital, they may put me on pitocin to get things a-movin. I frowned a little more because I really didn't want pitocin. My final question to her was "Can I go home and shower?" She said most definitely... try to be at the hospital in 2-3 hours. And with that... I called Jeremy told him the deal of the day... and headed home.
(And this is where I leave you hanging, because my little sweetie has awakened.)

No comments:
Post a Comment