Anna

Friday, September 12, 2008

9/11... what do you remember?


Yesterday, as most of us know commemorated the 7 year anniversary of a national tragedy. Having a husband who served in the military, I find it very important not to forget. To continue to honor those who are serving our country, and pay respects to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. I pray continually for a revival of our country, a great spiritual awakening. I pray that God will touch many hearts and we will turn from our wicked ways. For it is then that God promises that He will hear us, and heal our land. Even 7 years later, I believe we could certainly use a healing.

I remember where I was when I heard the news. (It seems like every generation has a "remember when" history in their lifetime.) I had just started my senior year of high school. I was alive, and excited! I was a senior. I remember it started out like any other day. I went to first period like always. It was the beginning of second period when a fellow classmate came in and said "Did you hear? A plane crashed into the World Trade Center." I remember thinking "Oh my goodness!" but not really putting that much thought into it. After all there had been bombs there before, I'm sure this was like that. We carried on with class as normal. Then third period came, and we heard the other tower was hit. That's when we knew something was definitely wrong. There still wasn't a lot of information out there for us... we were at school. I remember I was about to go to the local community college and I was talking to the office staff... they had had the radio on. They told me classes at the college were cancelled because of this. Again, the reality of what had happened started to sink in. It then shifted from an "ok place" to a scary place. What was going on?! Where we next? Towards the end of the day our school had called a special assembly. That's when we heard a censored version of what had happened. That's when I heard the towers were completely down. I just sat there shocked. It had only been a few summers before when I went there on vacation. The size of those buildings was phenominal...and to think they were down... surreal. I left school and headed to work at the local retirement community. It was then that I saw my first pictures of what had happened. Just as I'm sure with everyone, those images will forever be branded on my mind. I remember thinking about nothing else but this tragedy all through work. I didn't know what we needed to do! Do I stop for gas and hope for a better tomorrow? Go to the groccery store and buy all the water and canned goods I could? What was the next step. I got home around 7:45 that evening. I remember just sitting in awe. I remember just asking all sorts of questions. Why did God allow this to happen? Were we safe? What would happen next? My parents and I had a long discussion. We prayed for our country, and the healing that would need to take place. I remember the number of people in church that next day was astounding... especially for a Wednesday! Sunday was even more packed!

Today, I can't help but reflect... it's a good day for reflection. But the one question that continues to go over and over in my head is "what happened to it all?" Not what happened on the day of 9/11... but what happened to the spiritual revival we saw in our country? Whole cities were having moments of prayer, vigils... churches were packed.... but what happened to that? How soon do we forget! How soon have we once again turned our back on the Lord. He's a great crutch for times of need... but when things are going ok... we just pack him back up and wait for the next tragedy. I can't help but wonder what we as a nation are doing to God. We grieve Him so much. He has blessed us time and time again... and yet what do we do? Spit in His face. It's amazing how we want NOTHING to do with Him 99% of the time... and yet when He allows something like this to happen... we ask "where was He when...?" I think it's sad. I can't help but wonder what will we need to happen next for Him to have our full attention again.

God is good all the time. He is loving, merciful and full of compassion.

I pray that we will never forget. Not just 1 day a year, but all year through. Sacrifices are being made each day by soldiers across the globe... and what are we doing here to support them. Remember, nothing is free. Freedom... isn't free. It comes at a great price.

What's your story?

1 comment:

Pam said...

I can remember, I was driving to work on that gorgeous morning. I can remember praying and singing on the way to work and thanking God for the beautiful sunshine. It was a perfect day. We always had the radio on at work, and the news came across the airwaves. I was listening live, so the radio guy starting swearing when the second plane hit. It was awful. My mom called to tell me the Pentagon had been hit. Then, we heard about the plane that actually went over the airspace that I was working under. My boss was mad that the football games were going to be cancelled, and he was mad that we all stopped working to listen to the radio. He kept calling people trying to work while our country was being attacked. What a buttwhole.
I only worked part time, so I went to my moms after that. I stopped in to tell my sister to come right home after school. Then, I just sat in front of the TV all day long. It was awful.