Anna

Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm appalled.....

I must say, that after working with the junior high age group I am just appalled at the "accepted norm." I just can't help but wonder where did we go wrong? How can they not see the err in their thinking? A lot of times I attribute things to the fact that they're 12 going on 30. But, then I ask myself, why don't their adults in their lives see it either? It came to a climax in the last week or so. I've seen children who I thought I had bonded with lie to my face. Prey on my trust in them, and disappoint with continual lies. I've seen students act impulsively. When as a society did we get away from the "turn the other cheek" philosophy of the Bible, and replace it with an "if they hit you, slug them back... but harder" mentality? Where did we go wrong?

I was asked last evening in a Bible study what do I want to be great in? And after thinking about it for a few seconds (I wanted to really ask myself this question, not just give the "right" answer), I came up with "I want to be a great influencer." I want to make an impact for this world. I want to be remembered by my students as one who not only challenged them academically, but also spiritually.

I would love for God to set my students on fire. (And no, not fire smoting them, of course, I have thought about it in this context in the last few weeks.) I envision a group of teenagers that are so sold out for the Lord that people stand in awe. I would love to see getting together without arguing. Asking a question and getting the honest answer, even if it hurts. I want to influence and be part of a radical movement.

As I've sat here pondering this over the last few weeks, but more so the last 24 hours, I can't help but reflect on "what have I done toward this goal." I know I could have done more. We can always do more.

So I ask that you embark on this journey with me. I ask that you pray with me during this time. Our world is getting scarrier and scarrier. These teenagers are our future... and quite frankly, it scares me if things don't change.

When did RIGHT become wrong? When did we decide that sin was ok? I want change, and I know it starts with a change of my heart. I know it starts with giving it all to the One who is in control, and knows us better than we know ourselves.

I leave asking one more question: Who have you influenced today and how so?

No comments: